Questions to Ask Your Pharmacist
Your health care provider prescribes your medication, but you must take the medicine correctly to obtain the benefits. Adverse reactions have a variety of causes but may have the potential to be avoided by sharing essential information with your pharmacist. Having conversations each time you go to the pharmacy will increase the likelihood that your prescribed medicine will be taken properly, allowing the medications to be safer and more effective. Take the following questions to your pharmacist:
- Are you aware of the other medications, vitamins, or supplements I am taking?
- Do you know of my existing conditions, allergies, or previous reactions to certain drugs?
- What should I avoid while on this medication?
- When and how do I take this medication?
- What are the common and serious side effects to this drug?
- Where should I store my medication?
- What if I miss a dose?
- Must I finish it, or can I stop when I'm feeling better?
- Is there more information I can take home with me?